My life has once again changed course. I've been thinking a lot lately about what I could practically do with my life. The answer has become: a Master's in Library Science from the University of Arizona. And I'll tell you why.
I enjoy archaeology, I really do. I'm just not sure that it is definitely what I want to do with the rest of my life. Let's face it, the sun isn't exactly my best buddy. Besides, I'm not so sure I'm very good at it.
I thought about getting a Master's in Museum Studies. I still am, actually. But I don't know much about museum studies, and I'm not sure it's for me. It would be rad to work with materials in museums (I think that's why I like archaeology so much, you find old things!) but I'm not exactly sure what working in a museum would entail. Also, I don't think museum studies is the same as curation? I should look it up.
So, at last we get to the answer for now: I like books. One might even say I love books. I'm pretty sure everyone knows this. And I really, really enjoyed working at the library at USD. The interdepartmental politics, not so much. But I did like it there. Well, the only way to make any money working at a library is to have a Master's in Library Science. I could become an archivist, that would satisfy my love of old things and books, as I would work with old books! Well, more than just books.
For the most part--the Glendale Public Library, for example--libraries require a Master's in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program in order to be hired as a full-time librarian. The University of Arizona just happens to have one of these programs. Fantastic! The best part about it is that, although UA is in Tuscon (a good 2 1/2-3 hour trip from here), basically the entire program is available online. Some classes require a week of in-class time, from 8am to 8pm. But it's only a week. So I could conceivably get a Master's online, and use it no matter where we move to. So I think that's the plan for now.
Is it interesting to you to hear about the incredibly winding path that I'm taking to figure out what I want to do with my life? I hope so, otherwise this blog is pretty boring!
3 comments:
I am glad to see that you now have a direction to do in your life. I can tell in your writing this is the thing for you.
Hey, that's awesome! Now, since you've decided...what should I be when I grow up?
haha! I don't know. *shakes magic 8 ball* "Ask again later."
Post a Comment